Sunday, May 23, 2010

Niagara Classic Road Race











The Niagara Classic Road Race, a.k.a. effingham. The cyclists in niagara all know this famous climb-- saylor's hill. This top of this hill is the killer part of the course each lap and also the top is the finish of the road race. What a great race, close to home, local training areas, but one big hill!
As I was packing up my car early in the morning for my 8:30 start, a stopped got my large tim horton's coffee and headed to the race. I completed my usual race warm-up, legs felt a bit heavy and headed to the start. On the start line, then we all peddled off down Tice Road. I was very nervous at the start, yet stayed at the front of the group, where I wanted to be. We settled into a rhythm, then the base settled down. I placed an attack, and got a good gap off the front. I was wishing someone might bridge up to me, but the group just chased me down. I settled back in, and felt comfortable as we got onto effingham street. I moved up to the front of the group for the climb up saylor's hill. I had a good climb, I wasn't going for the 'queen of the mountain' points, just a good race. Started down Tice Road on lap 2- the fast section, one main group still. Some riders who were dropped on the climb bridge back on. We settled in as a group, and turned onto effingham road. Then as we approached the bottom of the climb, all the riders were trying to move-up before the start of the climb. The rider beside me, got crashed out. She fell onto me, but I managed to push her off me. Then ride into the gravel and grass, back onto the road- and start the climb. Unfortunately, I lost a bit of ground going into the start of the climb. I managed to get on to the back of the pack, but a few smaller groups had formed up front. As we headed down Tice Road, I bridged up to the next group- after a few minutes of solid work. Then I joined into a group of 6 or so riders. We headed up saylor's for the 3rd time... my legs were really feeling the efforts. Then started the last lap, we could see the first group in front of us -- but our group could never close the gap down. I tried to bridge across the gap, but didn't make it. I knew that would have been my big effort, and the race up the hill for the final sprint would be tough. I managed up the last climb, near the back of my group. Overall, pleased with the day - 10th in the category 3/master women's race. And 4th in category 3. I had some good efforts, and with road racing-- the more you race, the more you learn!

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing Chown's know how to ride road bikes off-road haha

    Nice finish, keep it up, a podium spot is not far away at all.

    ReplyDelete