Monday, April 26, 2010

CF

I haven't raced in the past few weeks. Just have been doing some training rides. I watched my husband race the Paris to Ancaster bike race last weekend, then I did a nice ride home from the race. My husband finished 6th overall, even feeling 'under the weather'. One day I will race this race! No babysitter available this year, so I sat this one out.



Anyway, so I thought that I would add a few things about cystic fibrosis.

What is cystic fibrosis??

Cystic fibrosis is the most common fatal genetic disease affecting Canadian children and young adults. There is no cure for CF. Cystic fibrosis causes a build-up of thick mucus in the lungs leading to severe respiratory problems. Meanwhile, mucus and protein build-up in the digestive tract results in extreme difficulty in digesting and absorbing adequate nutrients from food.



The most exciting news is that the median age of survival has increased substantially in the last five years. Today, half of all Canadians with cystic fibrosis are expected to live into their 40s
and beyond, making the median age of survival one of the highest reported in the world!

Information courtesy of: http://www.cysticfibrosis.ca/en/index.php

Link to Team CF blog: http://www.teamcf.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment