Monday, September 13, 2010

It's cyclocross season!!







Well this weekend was the first cyclocross race of the season. It is the local race organized by my husband, with lots of help from myself and other volunteers. This was our 4th year for putting on the race-- More Cowbell, Jump the Cheeseburger. As my husband loves the showcase show 'Trailor Park Boys' the cheeseburger is in reference to that.
This year, the race ran really smooth... the weather was great, and a bit of a new course. The course is fully staked and taped which is an event in its self to get ready, but the crew had it looking great!!
I raced in the women's race, got off to a decent start. Settled in, during the first lap. I was racing well with a small group of riders, one rider was ahead, then we were in the next bunch. On the second lap, a heard a noise that sounded like I skipped a gear, but then it got worse. I look down, and I had torn off my rear derailler....uggh. That was the end of my day, kindof disappointed as I was just getting into the race. But oh well, hopefully the next race goes better.
My husband raced the 1pm race- senior men, and master 1 men. He loves to race on the course that he designed and put together, I don't know how he had the energy after the day?? He ended up riding with another guy in the lead, they both looked very solid, attacking out of the corners, etc,etc. It came down to a sprint, which was really close and you couldn't even tell from watching it...There was a camera-man there, who helped the commissaire come up with the decision of Nathan second place and the other rider won. It had to do with how the line was spray-painted in the grass... too funny. The guys were happy with a solid race and everything.
The other exciting part of the day, was a bakesale to raise money for CF, and also a ' Team CF' kids race. The kids race was great, a good turnout and the kids had fun. The bakesale was held by one of my friends, who is an excellent baker/cook and once you have sampled the food you can't say 'no'. A couple of my other friends contributed to the bake sale as well. The final numbers are still being worked out, and then the proceeds will be donated to Cystic Fibrosis research. I was touched with all the effort and hard-work that was put into the bakesale.

On a different note, my son started junior kindergarden this year. With the staggered entry, he has only gone twice so far, next week it will be everyday. That has been interesting for me, and I am not so much worried about the school part, more about his digestive enzymes/etc. I am also appreciating each moment, as 40 years ago- children with CF rarely even lived long-enough to go to school. It definitely make me appreciate these moments, and am happy with all the research that has happened with CF, and that will continue to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment