Thursday, October 21, 2010

Toronto UCI races

Well headed up to Toronto for the UCI races last weekend. Although, I decided to switch my license to masters from elite. So the masters women had a different race time from the elite women. I thought it is about time that I switched to masters, and with Nationals in Toronto I would like to race masters.
Arrived for Day 1 - during warmup, I felt good, loved the course...well most of the course... kindof worried if I would be able to ride this one steep climb, as I knew that would make a big difference in the race if I was able to ride it or not. We got called up to the line, not really sure how they decided the call up order. As it was different Saturday, and Sunday?? Didn't really matter with the field size, and I was front row. I was focusing on having a good start, and I did. Clipped in right away, and got the hole-shot. I rode well during the first section of the course, I managed to ride the steep hill I was worried about, riding the off-cambers turns okay, and the run-up...well that felt slow everytime. I settled into 2nd place. I managed to stay with 1st place through the first lap... she opened a small gap on me, which I managed to close up on the road/open grassy sections. I stayed in 2nd place for the next few laps. Coming through the finish line after completing 3 laps, we had the sign indicate 3 or 4 laps to go??!! In my head, I am thinking WTH... we have to go 6 or 7 laps...but then I have to calculate we will probably be lapped by the men, which it is hard to actually calculate in your head when you can barely breath... this usually happens at most of the races though. It just makes it a bit hard to focus when you are hoping not to 'blow-up' and lose a few spots. Anyway the last two laps of my race were good, 3rd place was gaining on me. I felt like I was at my limit, and hoping I didn't make a mistake soon as that would be enough to cost me. On the last lap, although I wasn't sure it was the last lap, I biked into a stake on one of the turns... I had to unclip to get by it. 3rd place passed me, and in trying not to panic... I got going again. I closed up the gap a bit, but was unable to catch her. I finished in 3rd place. I was happy with the race, even with the mistake an the end I felt strong and overall rode well.
On to Sunday's race, I was feeling the race in my legs from Saturday. Pre-rode the course, didn't like it as much as Saturday. 'The downhill chute' was making me nervous, I wanted to pre-ride it... but the ammouncers were calling us to the line, which added more pressure... so I didn't ride it in warmup, and hoped for the best in the race. Not the greatest race strategy though :). Got to the start and called up. We started, I had a good start and got the hold shot again, headed through the first off-camber section and got passed. I was with the lead group for a bit longer, and then kindof messed up a climb--was in too big a gear...and they opened up a gap. I managed to use up a few matches closing that gap. Also we climbed the hill to the down-hill chute, well I rode it fine. Just a bit slower, antoher small gap formed, that I was unable to close. I rode the remaining of the race with another local rider for 4th and 5th position. We were taking turns at the front, pushing the pace at different spots. I knew the climbing was catching up to me, and I had to unclip a few times on one of the turns... 4th place got a bit of a gap and I was forced to chase. I was maintaining the gap coming into the last lap, just before the start of the last lap- I got passed my the top junior racers who were finishing. I ended up finishing a lap down, and didn't have to ride the last lap. A bit of a surprise that I was finished, but glad that I was done. Ended up in 5th place... pretty good effort. Watched some my husband's races he didn't have a great weekend of racing- got crashed in front of on Saturday but finished 13th. Sunday crashed and DNFed... now he has a cold..uughh. Back training this week, and getting ready for this weekend of racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment