Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Kelso Cross and Hillbilly Hustle



A few weekends ago, I raced the Sunday race of the Kelso weekend. I couldn't make it up for the Saturday race due to activities with the kids. Got to the Kelso race.... it was mud, mud and mud. Did one lap warm-up on the course, then the rest of the road, as I didn't want to get my bike totally full of mud. Felt alright, nothing spectacular. Lined up at the start-line, good start, and first lap. I was riding with the leader, for the first lap. We started the climb up the hill on the second lap and rode through the grass section at the top. Rode into some of the mud sections, after the second climb. Going into one of the muddy sections, the leader crashed. I got around her and was leading until this tough 180 degree turn where I slid out. I was a bit slow getting going, as I realized that my seat was loose. 1st place and 2nd place rode by, and I was still trying to figure out what to do with my seat. I got back on my bike, and rode it for another lap. Then I decided to switch bikes, and use my spare bike. I got settled back in for the last lap, and finished in 3rd place. Got a 6 pack of beer for a prize....that is a good prize!!

Went to Hillbilly Hustle on October 31, went up the night before and stayed at the Blue Mountain Resort in Collingwood. It was nice to get away for a night, and go in the outdoor, heated pool and hot-tub. Got to the race, a bit late... only 20 minutes before my start. (not really sure how that happened, only one elevator working in the hotel didn't help that). I signed in to find out that I had new numbers issued to me...uggh, as I already had my numbers pinned on. I didn't ride the course, just went to the start line. It was snowing, and really muddy. My son was loving the snow, making snowballs, etc. Not sure what to think on the start line, started conservatively, as I didn't know where I was going, saw the riders ahead of me dismounting for the off-camber section and running. I dismounted and followed the riders ahead of me. Got settled in with 2 riders just ahead of me. I was gaining on the riders, then I slid out on a corner just past the start finish. I lost some time there, then I got back on my bike and kept going. I was slowly catching back up to the riders, and passed on of the riders in the running off-camber section. THen the next lap, I caught the next rider and passed her in the same section. With 1 lap to go, I just tried to ride clean and push it on the flat sections. I stayed ahead of those riders, and finished 2nd place in masters women. I was happy with the day, and enjoyed the weekend away.

No comments:

Post a Comment