Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cyclocross Nationals

Saturday, November 6th was the Canadian Cyclocross Nationals. I raced at 9AM- masters women, the first race of the day. Let's just say that is very early. My husband's race was the last race of the day starting at 3:30pm ( I think). Not a great schedule for us, and with my son's hockey school Saturday morning as well, we decided to take 2 cars up to the event. I left really early around 5:30am, got to the race just after 7am. I don't think I have been this early yet this year, I got a great spot in the parking lot, and prepared for the race. I think I was the second car there, it was still dark and they were still taping the course. The thermometer on the car read 4 degrees. I was trying to figure out how many layers to wear, gloves, etc. I registered at 8AM, then headed out for warmup. They were still taping the course at 8:15, and I was told I was going the wrong way.... as that section wasn't taped yet. Trying not to worry about it, I rode the other sections of the course and tried to keep warm. I felt okay after the warm-up, and decided to keep the handwarmers in my gloves for the race-- as being able to brake is important for me. Got called up 2nd row to the start. Was ready to go, and the whistle went. I didn't have a great start, missed my pedal and then got going, difficult to move up on the start. I moved up a few spots and tried to move up across the barriers, I settled to my pace with some other riders around me. After the first lap, I was around 6th or 7th with 3rd place only being 10 seconds ahead. Anyway, I was riding well, and moved up to 5th place a one point. The long climb, I was running, which was okay as I was going the same speed as the riders around me. So of the riders were riding part way up the climb, then running. With 1.5 laps to go, I couldn't clip in at the top of the climb. I managed to clip in but lost some time that I had gained on the climb. With 2 riders close behind me, then after the barriers I couldn't clip in again. This time I was scrambling to get both feet in, down the hill with no feet clipped in.... this lead to a not so great uphill and having to stop for a second at the top. The two riders behind passed me, scrambling to try and clip in. I finally got clipped in and kept going. With the race being so early, there was still frost on the ground, and with running the big hill, alot of mud was stuck in my cleats. I finished the last lap of the race, so closely on 6th place but not able to catch back up. I finished 7th, I was happy with the race, a bit disappointed with my start and not being able to clip in- but those things happen especially in cross. After my race, I watched some of the other races had a bite to eat with my husband before his race. Then I went home to pick up the kids from my parents house. Nathan had a great race and finished 8th in elite.... WOW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment